Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Taxi Please!

Hi there

There comes time in every adult's life where a decision is required to be made and stuck to. These types of decisions occur often and some are more ground breaking than others.

The decision I am had to make is due to a little episode that occurred on Saturday - after a standard Double R - big night out!

Without going into too much detail (I don't think it is really relevant), the following occurred. Leaving the 'haten at about 5:30, I was pulled over by one of those fine figures in blue and brown - Metro Traffic police. I was subjected to numerous breatherlisers (as the first 3 attempts retrieved null results) until a satisfactory (well to the police officer) result was obtained. I was in all senses over the "limit" and was placed under arrest. Now for no apparent reason that I can ascertain I was let off with nothing but a stern warning. The Angels were certainly looking after me.

There were quite a few thoughts rushing through my mind during this little episode:

- How could I be so stupid?
- What I am going to tell my friends, family and work colleagues?
- Will I survive the weekend?
- Is this breatherliser faulty?
etc etc

So I had to make a decision, based on the following possible scenarios:

1. Stop drinking to the Double R limitations and drink to the laws limitation.
2. Find and orchestrate a Designated Dave group and policy.
3. Get a taxi service.
4. Stop drinking.


I have done pt 4 a few times, but in fairness I quite enjoy a pot or 10... I do believe balance is important. Pt 2 requires people who are liked minded and committed - so far I know of one. Pt 1 is a possibility but then again do I really want to do this? Therefore my process of elimination pt 3 is the answer.

But this comes with a price - a lot of the time party venues tend to move with the group of friend which would mean either taxi'ing or catching a lift with a friend (dangerous because said friend might be boozed).

So there are additional considerations. Bottom line I am not going to jail for anything or anyone. There are a lot of my friends who read this and from now on when someone says have one more or I offer that extra drink, tempting as it may be - a "no" will be greated with a very sound understanding.

Double R - nearly DT-Jailbird over and out.

8 comments:

Phlippy said...

Pt 3 is greatly reduced in price as numbers of utilising passengers are increased. I have the AA taxi Cab in my phone and have used them. They are very good. I will monitor yur activity with you big guy

double R said...

Thanks 80% guy :) I agree the more the merrier, time to also change the good ol mentality.

Phlippy said...

that always helps, changing the mentality

Anonymous said...

I'm with you there on Point 2 and 3!!! After this last weekend, jeepers creepers, no more chancing it anymore! I am more than happy to be a designated dave as long as there are others involved so we can rotate, otherwise Taxi for me!!!

double R said...

Hence the "one" that I know :P Me 2 and we could use Eey-ow

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

The dave concept USUALLY work pretty well on this side.... im happy to join rotation, except i live a little far away!

double R said...

You can always crash in my bed, and I'll crash on the couch - thats goes for all the players of "the game" :P

lordwiggly said...

Hawu chizzas. Glad you not in the chookie big guy!

Im keen to do either DD or taxi cab, hook a brother up!